This year’s theme of the 5th Taragalte Festival
will be “Caravane”.
The first part of the Taragalte concept that was actually realised was the Taragalte festival. The festival is based on the concept of the traditional moussem – a traditional festival held when the trade caravans entered the big oasis of Taragalte (M’hamid) after traveling across the desert for months. The Taragalte festival wants to revive the traditional moussem by putting emphasis on cultural exchange between different communities of the North African Sahara and the rest of the world. Traditional and modern music, legends, stories, and customs are combined and brought to life. The festival is a place for sustainable development and cultural exchange and thus embodies the very essence of the Taragalte Concept.
AIM OF THE FESTVAL
- celebrating the quotidian life of the Saharan women
- preserving the fragile environment of the desert
- promoting the ancestral heritage of nomads around the world
- creating a cultural exchange between different communities
- encouraging the development of sustainable tourism
- manifesting a respect for diversity through music and art
The festival will be held on the 15th, 16th and 16th of November 2013 with a fantastic lineup and hopefully a big audience. The date was chosen to match with the original moussem, which was celebrated at the arrival of the great caravans and at the end of the date palm’s harvest season.
Province de Zagora
Moroccan National Office of Tourism
Ouarzazate Film Commission
For reservations or other matters concerning the festival, please contact:
. We look forward to hear from you.